UPDATES Sign up to receive periodic updates from the Student Experience Research Network.
Ronald Ferguson is an MIT-trained economist who has taught at Harvard University since 1983. His teaching and publications cover a variety of issues in education and economic development. In addition to teaching and writing, Dr. Ferguson consults actively with school departments and agencies at all levels of government on efforts to raise achievement levels and close achievement gaps. He is the creator of the Tripod Project for School Improvement, including the widely used Tripod Student Survey Assessments, the faculty co-chair and director of the Achievement Gap Initiative at Harvard University, and was recently faculty co-chair of the Pathways to Prosperity Initiative on adolescent-to-adult transitions at Harvard’s Graduate School of Education. After 31 years as full-time faculty, he has recently moved into an adjunct position.
Most of his research since the mid-1990s has focused on racial achievement gaps, appearing in publications of the National Research Council, the Brookings Institution, and the US Department of Education, in addition to various books and journals. His most recent book is Toward Excellence with Equity: An emerging vision for closing the achievement gap, published by Harvard Education Press. Dr. Ferguson earned an undergraduate degree from Cornell University and Ph.D. from MIT, both in economics.
Visit our library to view Ronald Ferguson's papers related to learning mindsets.
- A national experiment reveals where a growth mindset improves achievement
- Impact of a growth mindset intervention on key predictors of academic success in a nationally representative sample
- Understanding the impact of “psychologically wise” practices on student achievement
- Relationships between mindsets and academic outcomes in a statewide system of higher education
- Student Experience Research Network’s portfolio of research on mindsets and the learning environment
- Press release: Results from the National Study of Learning Mindsets
- Lessons from the first round of the Mindsets & the Learning Environment Initiative
- New video profiles provide a closer look at the Student Experience Research Network
- Student Experience Research Network launches initiative to understand how learning environments impact students’ motivation and engagement
- Mindset scholars share new research at the Education Writers Association’s National Seminar
- Mindset Scholars present current research at AERA 2016
- New study provides additional evidence regarding teachers’ effect on ‘non-tested’ skills
- New report on how teaching affects learning mindsets and engagement
- The 2020 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings
- The 2019 Edu-Scholar Public Influence Rankings
- Can Love Close the Achievement Gap?
- Use Successful Schools as Role Model for Inner-City Achievement
- What Young Men of Color Can Teach Us About Achievement Gaps
- What About Measuring Beyond Reading and Math Scores?